Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents are very common, and they can result in serious injuries, missed time at work, and expensive medical costs. The last thing you expect to happen when you’re out and about running your daily errands is to have a slip and fall accident, but if it happens, do you know what to do next?
Common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Wet and slippery surfaces. South Florida weather is very humid and we experience frequent rain, especially during storm season, so this means that surfaces can quickly become slick and unsafe, especially tile and other smooth surfaces.
- Uneven surfaces. We’ve all experienced walking along the sidewalk and we’ve nearly fallen due to the sidewalk being uneven. Luckily most of these incidents aren’t serious, but sometimes people fall and sustain serious injuries as a result of tripping and falling on an uneven surface.
- Unsafe stairs. Perhaps it’s a loose floorboard, or a handrail that isn’t properly attached to the wall. Whatever the case, unsafe staircases are a liability and can be very dangerous.
- Inadequate lighting. Have you ever been in a dimly-lit restaurant or nightclub and struggled to see immediately in front of you? This can result in a slip and fall when you can’t see where you’re going.
Property owners have a legal obligation to provide a safe environment free from all hazards, including tripping hazards, and if you slip and fall on someone else’s property, they may be liable for costs you incur as a result of your accident.
Steps to take immediately after your slip and fall accident
- Seek medical treatment for any injuries and get documentation and receipts for all of your medical costs, including any follow-up medical visits and treatment.
- File a report with the property owner. You need to let the property owner know as soon as possible that you’ve had a slip and fall accident on the premises. The property owner should make a report of the incident, and be sure to ask for a copy of the incident report.
- Take photos of the scene where your slip and fall accident occured, as well as the surrounding areas. It’s recommended to do this as soon as possible, preferably immediately after your fall, presuming you don’t require immediate medical attention. These photos will be very valuable to your lawyer if you file a claim.
- Ask any witnesses to provide a statement. Most public places now have security camera footage, so you should also ask the property owner to provide you with a copy of the footage.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney who can help you proceed with filing a claim.
Navigating the legal process after a slip and fall accident can be frustrating and confusing if you do it alone. You need an experienced slip and fall lawyer who can help you through every step of the process, and who will fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve. Whether it’s expensive medical bills, the inability to return to work, or persistent injuries that impact your quality of life, the responsible party needs to be held accountable for any and all damages.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, and have questions about how to proceed, please contact Mausner Law today.