What To Do If You Were Raped on a Cruise Ship?
While it is certainly difficult to think and act rationally and purposefully after being sexually victimized, it would help your case if you could move through the following steps:
- Try not to shower until you have been examined by medical personnel. Also, do not wash your clothes or bedding. Retain these in a new paper or plastic bag and present them to the authorities when you reach the port.
- Report the assault immediately to the security officer.
- Go to the infirmary for treatment of injuries and a rape kit examination.
- Contact the FBI or US Coast Guard by phone and ask how to proceed.
- Get the names of anyone and everyone involved, including the perpetrators (or possible perpetrators if you are not sure), security officers, and witnesses.
- Take photos of your injuries.
- Upon arrival in your next port of call or upon arrival in your disembarkation port, go to the nearest rape treatment center. The FBI and/or local law enforcement should meet the ship upon its arrival.
- Get all the medical you need for your physical and psychological injuries.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.