Suffered a Slip and Fall Accident at an Airbnb?
South Florida has always been a popular vacation destination, and we’ve seen a steady increase in the number of people using Airbnbs over the last decade. Airbnbs offer travelers convenience and flexibility, but unlike hotels, the issue of liability in the event of an injury or an accident is not always straightforward. Because Airbnbs are private residences who work in conjunction with Airbnb, people may be unclear about their rights in certain situations.
So what happens if you suffer a slip and fall accident while staying at an Airbnb? Slip and fall accidents can cause a range of injuries and can be particularly serious if you hit your head. Your injuries may prevent you from enjoying the rest of your vacation, and if you need to seek medical attention it may result in expensive medical costs as well as impact your ability to return to work.
Airbnb Slip And Fall Accidents Are Most Commonly Caused By:
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Cracks in the floor
- Loose or broken stairs or steps
- Carpets that are loose or torn
- Nails or screws sticking up out of the floor
- Poor lighting or broken lights
- Broken or unsecured handrails
- Leaks from faulty showers or sinks
- Potholes or other uneven surfaces in the driveway or backyard
Slip and fall accidents are more common when you’re in a new environment for the first time. We are all well acquainted with the layout and floor surfaces of our own homes, including areas to watch out for, but when you’re staying at someone else’s house it’s their responsibility to ensure any slip and fall hazards are eliminated before allowing guests onto their property.
Many people assume their Airbnb injury is a result of their own clumsiness, and even feel a bit embarrassed contacting a lawyer about it, but it’s important to remember that Airbnb hosts have a legal obligation to provide safe accommodation. Common Airbnb slip and fall injuries include:
- Wrist injuries. It’s our natural instinct to put our arms out to break our fall, so sprains, fractures, and even broken wrists can result from a slip and fall.
- Hip injuries. These can be particularly dangerous if you fall on a hard surface like tile, concrete, or hardwood floors.
- Knee injuries. When your body tries to stop you from falling down it can often result in a twisted or sprained knee.
- Neck and back injuries. If you slip and fall backwards there’s a chance you’ll injure your spine and strain your neck, which can result in long-term pain.
- Head injuries. These should always be taken extremely seriously, and whether you bump your head on a piece of furniture while falling or you hit your head on the ground, please seek medical attention immediately.
What To Do If You’ve Had An Airbnb Accident
- Take photos and videos of the scene, capturing as many angles as possible. This documentation can benefit your case and support your statement about how the slip and fall accident occurred.
- Take photos of your injuries, and get copies of any medical paperwork if you do seek treatment after your fall.
- Report the incident to both Airbnb and your host, and document all correspondence.
- Contact a legal team who has experience representing people in Airbnb slip and fall accidents.
To learn more about your rights if you’ve suffered a slip and fall accident at an Airbnb, or if you have any questions, please contact our experienced legal team today. We look forward to hearing from you.